Dr. John Babu Koyye: Journey and Biography
From NCC cadet to Assistant Professor of Central University to Founder & Editor in Chief of Journal, represented the University in the Festival of Innovations-2016 held at Presidential house-Rastrapathi Bhavan.
Dr John Babu Koyye is an assistant professor of Convergent Journalism at the Central University of Kashmir, Srinagar, India. Before coming to CUK, he was an assistant professor at Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh.
He has represented the University in the Festival of Innovations-2016 held at Presidential house-Rastrapathi Bhavan, New Delhi. He is the founder and the Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Communication & Social Research (IJCSR), a UGC approved publication from India aims at media and journalism research with a special focus on development themes.
He also serves on the editorial board of the International Journal of Multidisciplinary Educational Research (IJMER).
Dr John maintains an active research and teaching programme that applies communication for development. He has combined his academic research with video production and made a documentary “Communication for Gujjars of Kashmir.”
He is the resource person in the traditional media “puppetry” and included it in the classroom curriculum. He is also instrumental in generating awareness on social issues through “puppetry”. He is the founder of an NGO, Mission for Integration Service Peace and Awareness (MISPA), based in Visakhapatnam, works on building and imparting awareness on a lot of social issues.
He has edited three reference volumes-Media and Communication for Development (2016), Media and Human Rights (2015) and Role of Radio in Primary Education (2010), apart from 27 papers published in reputed Journals and Chapters in Edited Volumes. He has attended and presented papers in 41 seminars/conferences.
He serves on the Coordinator-Innovations and Liaison Officer-OBC Reservation Cell in the University.
John holds a PhD in Journalism and Mass Communication and a dual MA in Philosophy and Religious Studies from Andhra University.
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- PhD (Effectiveness of Radio in Primary Education) January 2010
- MJMC (Journalism & Mass Communication) 1995 First Class
- MA (Philosophy) Private Studies, 1995, First Class
- MA (Religious Studies) 1994, First Class, Gold Medal
- PGDL (Linguistics) Evening Course, 1995
- B Ed (Teacher Education) DNR Collage of Education, 1991
- BA (Social Work Economics, Politics) DNR College 1986, First class
- BA (English Literature) 2005 Distance Education, AOU, Hyderabad.
QUALIFIED: SLET Exam (Recognized by UGC), November 1998
- Assistant Professor | Acharya Nagarjuna University (10 August 2010 to 9-06-2013)
- Assistant Professor | the Central University of Kashmir (10 June 2013 to till to date…)
MEDIA AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
Investigator (Part-time) in Audience Research Unit, All India Radio Visakhapatnam and Internship in Eenadu Telugu Daily Newspaper, Visakhapatnam.
SPECIALIZATION SUBJECTS: Communication for Development (C4D), Research Methodology, Cultural Communication and Traditional Media. (Puppet show Training, Manipulation and workshops (Trained at Center for Cultural Resources and Training (CCRT), New Delhi, 2005)
RESEARCH FIELD: Communication for Development, Human Rights and media
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS AND MEMBERSHIP
- Founder, Producer, Chief-Editor: International Journal of Communication and Social Research (IJCSR) From Srinagar (J&K) 2013, ISSN 2319-605X.
- Member: Editorial Board in International Journal of Multidisciplinary Educational Research (IJMER), Visakhapatnam, ISSN 227-881.
- Member: International Association of Mass media Communication and Research (IAMCR).
- Member: Board of Studies, Department of Convergent Journalism, School of Media Studies, Central University of Kashmir
- Member: Innovative Club, Placement cell, Central University of Kashmir
Small scale Research: John Babu, K. (2005). An evaluative study on the effectiveness of ‘Vindam Nerchukonam’ a radio programme for Primary school submitted in District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) Bhimili, sponsored by Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA), Department of Secondary Education, Hyderabad.
Media Research Surveys: (All India Radio, Doordarshan & IIMC)
Audience Research Survey, AIR: Quick feedback survey of the programmes of All India Radio conducted in 1995-1996 at Visakhapatnam, by Audience Research Unit, AIR, Visakhapatnam
Audience Research Survey, DD: Regional Language Satellite Channel Programmes and DART rating survey conducted from 05-09-1996 to 15-10-1996 at Visakhapatnam, by Audience Research Unit, Doordarshan, Hyderabad
Baseline Survey by IIMC: Survey on Water and Sanitation for Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission conducted for 40 days from 05-09-1996 to 15-10-1996 in East Godawari District AP, by Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi.
RESEARCH GUIDANCE (PhD theses in progress)
- Raj Kumar, T. (Coordinator, PG Department of Communication, Loyola College. Vijayawada), on ‘Diffusion of Innovation in mobile communication: An analytical study in Andhra Pradesh’.
- Kamal Sucharan, B. (Guest Faculty, Dept. of Journalism and Mass Communication ANU Guntur. Director ‘New light’ cinemas) on ‘Evolution of Storytelling techniques in cinema: A study of Telugu films’.
- Aftab Alam Baig, (Faculty, Dept. of Journalism and Mass Communication, Moulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad), on ‘Effectiveness of Urdu Educational Television Programmes for Distance Learners: A Case study of Moulana Azad Urdu University’
- Bhanu Ashok Vardhan, (News Reporter, N TV Telugu channel, Guntur), ‘Television rating: A case study of satellite News Channels in Andhra Pradesh
- Nageswara Rao, N. (Bureau in-charge, Eenadu Newspaper, Anantapur), ‘Right to Information and Press: A Case study of Eenadu Telugu Daily’.
- Sri Krishna Murthy, D. (Research Scholar) ‘Peace journalism and conflict resolution: An analysis’
DISSERTATIONS: Guided students in their research of Master level Dissertation in partial fulfilment in Journalism & Mass Communication ANU during 2010-13 (30) and in the Dept. of Convergent Journalism CUK (6 in 2014, 9 in 2015).
RADIO PROJECTS: Guided 90 students worked on the production of radio capsules in partial fulfilment of Master degree in Journalism & Mass Communication through ANU.
AUDIO & VIDEO PRODUCTION
- John Babu K. (2014). “Son of Lamb” a video documentary film (English) on the Gujjars community in Jammu and Kashmir, a proposal for Community radio for the development of tribes.
- John Babu K. (2005). Awake India, a video documentary film (Telugu) on HIV/ AIDS for creating awareness to the people of Andhra Pradesh (with MISPA, NGO), Visakhapatnam
- John Babu K. (2004). Audio Songs CD on HIV/AIDS (Telugu) to be played at the time of Puppet show for creating awareness to the people of Andhra Pradesh, Visakhapatnam
- On Media, Politics and Public Policy in the Dept. of Politics and Governance, School of Social Sciences, the Central University of Kashmir on 1st November 2014.
- Guest lectures and practicals on Radio Communication in the Dept. of Journalism and Mass Communication, Acharya Nagarjuna University for the students of semester II during 13-19 February 2014
- On ‘Imposing Censorship on media’ by the District Public Relation Office, Visakhapatnam on 10 Jan 2010
- On Cultural Communication in an orientation training programme for NSS Programme Officers, in ANU Guntur, on Sept 12, 2010
- On Awareness and communication in a training for NSS volunteers of Medicos, NRI Medical Research Center, China Kakani, on November 20, 2010, and given Puppet Show on AIDS Awareness.
- On Media ethics and problems of rural reporters’ in the two-day training programme for rural reporters conducted by Press Academy of AP at ANU on March 16-17, 2011.
- On Traditional media and Cultural communication in a training for NSS Programme Officers, ANU on July 11, 2011, and given Puppet Show on AIDS Awareness.
- On Traditional media: An essential need in NSS programmes in training for NSS Programme Officers, ANU on July 21, 2011, given Puppet Show on Child Labor.
- On Social responsibility of reporter in the two-day training programme for Mofussil Journalists conducted by Press Academy of AP, at ANU PG Centre, Ongole, AP on July 30-31, 2011.
- On Cultural communication in a training for NSS Programme Officers, ANU September 9, 2011.
- On Traditional Media: Puppetry on AIDS Awareness on the eve of ‘Festival of Folk Culture’, by Marris Stella College, Vijayawada in its Golden Jubilee Celebrations on November 29, 2011. Puppet show performed on AIDS Awareness.
- On Puppet Making and Manipulation one-day workshop by the Department of Home Science, J.M.J. College for women, Tenali, Guntur Dist. on Feb 10, 2012. Puppet show Katnaniki Kallem (Stop Dowry) performed.
- On Indian cultural communication and Traditional media in orientation Training for NSS Programme Officers by NSS Regional Training Centre in ANU Campus, Guntur on June 28, 2012.
- On Cultural communication and Social responsibility in orientation Training for NSS Programme Officers by NSS Regional Training Centre in AU, Visakhapatnam on July 23, 2012.
- On Communication Skills And Social Engineering in orientation Training for NSS Programme Officers by NSS Regional Training Centre in ANU, Guntur on 23 Nov 2012.
ADJUDICATION AND EVALUATION
- Participated as an adjudicator in a debating competition organized by the School of Legal Studies, the Central University of Kashmir on the occasion of Human Rights Day on the 10th of December 2014.
- Participated as a member of the jury to evaluate the student’s posters on the eve of “Poster Presentation Day” in Nationwide Digital Week at CUK on 4th July 2015.
- Founder Secretary of ‘MISPA’ (Mission for Integration Service Peace and Awareness) Society an NGO, Visakhapatnam
- Founder Secretary to Shalom House of Worship, Manchili, West Godawari District, AP
- Participated as a Principle speaker in a number of programmes conducted on career advancement, awareness and educational counselling by social sciences departments of various Colleges and Universities.
- Attended an Advanced leadership Program at Centenary Baptist Church Visakhapatnam organized by Haggai Institute, Singapore.
- Participated as a Principle speaker in a number of churches and social organizations in Visakhapatnam and other places.
Puppet-show Programs: As part of the curriculum, conducted puppet show programs on various social themes, accordingly evaluated student’s puppet-show performance in the Dept. of Convergent Journalism, CUK on 18th November 2013 and 20th November 2014.
Conducted Puppet-show programmes on various social themes as a part of academic exhibitions in the Dept. of Journalism and Mass Communication, Acharya Nagarjuna University from 2010 to 2013.
Conducted about 100 Puppet-show programmes on AIDS awareness in urban slums and villages of Visakhapatnam. Collaborated with State Government AIDS awareness programmes of ASHA I and Asha II. http://www.thehindu.com/2005/12/18/stories/2005121804390200.htm
Social Activities (NGO)
Founded a social organization ‘MISPA’ (Mission for Integration Service Peace & Awareness) Society, Regd: 1935/96, with an aim to create awareness on Health, Education and social ills through traditional media Puppet Shows, Audio CDs, and Video Documentary film.
NCC ‘C’ & RDC, New Delhi
Ranked Company Under Officer (CUO) obtained ‘C’ Certificate in National Cadet Corps (NCC) at DNR Degree College. Participated in Republic Day Camp, Parade Marching contingent -1989 at New Delhi. Also participated in cultural programmes, obtained Silver Medal in Orchestra and Bronze Medal in Folk dance in Inter-state competitions in RDC.
By Smt. D. Purandeswari Devi, Central Minister of State for Human Resources Development (HRD) For Social Service and Educational Achievements in Visakhapatnam on July 2, 2010
By the Central Board for Workers Education (CBWE) Visakhapatnam region on November 14, 2006, for Social Service and creating awareness on AIDS through Puppet shows.
By the Lions Club of Visakhapatnam for best Teaching and social service on the eve of Teachers Day on September 5, 2005.
Note: please Comment Here for UPDATES and CORRECTIONS
Why news media is in crisis & How you can fix it.
India needs free, fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism even more as it faces multiple crises. But the news media is in a crisis of its own. There have been brutal layoffs and pay cuts. The best of journalism is shrinking, yielding to the crude prime-time spectacle. My digital news .in has very few young reporters, columnists and editors working for it. Sustaining journalism of this quality needs smart and thinking people like you to pay for it. Whether you live in India or overseas, you can do it here
NOTE: Please email us for updates and corrections, if you wish to publish articles like this you can send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or you can Directicle write Articles on our Site by registering https://mydigitalnews.in/register
Disclaimer: Mydigitalnews.in provides the content from various information sources ‘as is and the content to be used only for informational purposes and not responsible for the inaccuracy or deficiency of the provided information. Mydigitalnews. in have the right, at its sole discretion, to make modifications in any aspect of the provided information.
Mydigitalnews. in Internet site may contain links to other Internet sites. While we try to link only to sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or the privacy practices employed by other sites.