Everything you ever needs to know about the National Crime Records Bureau
The National Crime Records Bureau, abbreviated to NCRB, is an Indian government agency responsible for collecting and analysing crime data as defined by the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Special and Local Laws (SLL).
NCRB is headquartered in New Delhi and is part of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Government of India. The current Director of NCRB is Ramphal Pawar (IPS). NCRB was set up in 1986 to function as a repository of information on crime and criminals so as to assist the investigators in linking crime to the perpetrators.
It was set up based on the recommendation of the Taskforce, 1985 and National Police Commission, 1977 by merging the Directorate of Coordination and Police Computer (DCPC), Inter-State Criminals Data Branch of CBI and Central Finger Print Bureau of CBI. Earlier Statistical Branch of the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) was also merged with NCRB but was later de-merged.
To Empower Indian Police with Information Technology and criminal Intelligence to enable them to uphold the law and protect people. To provide leadership and excellence in crime analysis particularly for serious and organized crime.
- Create and maintain secure sharable National Databases on crimes and criminals for law enforcement agencies and promote their use for public service delivery.
- Collect and process crime statistics at the national level and clearinghouse of information on crime and criminals both at National and International levels.
- Lead and coordinate the development of IT applications and create an enabling IT environment for Police organizations.
- National repository of fingerprints of all criminals.
- To evaluate, modernize and promote automation in State Crime Records Bureaux and State Finger Print Bureaux.
- Training and capacity building in Police Forces in Information Technology and Finger Print Science.
Evolution of NCRB
|1987||Motor Vehicle Coordination software (Lost and Found)|
|1990||Commencement of training for Foreign Police Officers|
|1991||Portrait Building System (PBS) developed (Colour PBS in 2011)|
|1993||7 IIF forms finalized.|
|1995||FACTS and CCIS Implementation (Windows-based CCIS in 2001 & FACTS-5 in 2005)|
|1999||Talash software for matching of missing and dead persons|
|2003||Counterfeit Currency (FICN)Software released|
|2004||Common Integrated Police Application (CIPA)|
|2005||Organized Crime System software|
|2013||CCTNS Pilot Launch & CAS STQC certified|
|2014||Revised Proforma and software for Crime in India, Motor Vehicle Coordination System(MVCS) Online version released|
|2016||Digital India Award - Silver Medal in Open Championship category (Digitization of Crime in India since 1967)|
Digital Police Portal launched
What's Your Reaction?